||Tobago Places of Interest
Tobago has wide variety in its places of interest, ranging from historical
sites to natural wonders to interesting human activities
Located in the Barrack Guard House of
Fort King George,
the museum has an interesting display of early Tobago history, including
Amerindian artifacts, and military relics, maps and documents from the
colonial period. Open Monday to Friday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. (Small admission
Kimme Museum, Mt. Irvine
A little way up the road past Mt Irvine Bay Hotel is the
gallery of the German sculptor Luise Kimme, who has made Tobago a large part
of her life’s work. Her pieces include graceful dancers, young girls, lovers
and mothers with children. Viewing is on Sundays, or by appointment
Itsy Bitsy Play House
This is a folk theatre which prides itself as the only formal one in Tobago.
Indigenous songs, dance and local drama are staged for locals and visitors.
There is also a small Heritage museum attached to the Play House at 2 - 4
Robert Trace Mount Pleasant.
Couronian Monument, Plymouth
This monument representing “freedom” is to honor the early settlers to
Plymouth who came from Courland (modern day Latvia). The monument was
designed and built by one of our national artists. It was unveiled in 1976
during a cultural visit by Courlanders in exile from various parts of the
Gun Bridge, Bacolet Street, Scarborough
Originally built to accommodate one vehicle at a time, Gun Bridge was
widened in the 1950s by the Works Division. Four cannons were removed from
Fort King George and placed at the two ends of the bridge - two north, two
south. Embedded in the stone and concrete sides are the barrels of 19th
Century Brown Bees muskets which serve as decorative guard rails.
Located in the village of Plymouth this site has baffled many a visitor as
the inscription on the tombstone has perplexed visitors for over 200 years.
Witch’s Grave, Golden Lane
In the village of Golden Lane is the grave of Gang Gang Sara. According to
legend, she was an African witch who flew to Tobago centuries ago and was
unable to fly back because she had eaten salt.
Arnos Vale Waterwheel and Nature Park, Arnos Vale
This is Tobago’s best-preserved waterwheel, once the main source of power to
a sugar factory. The intrinsic historical character of this site has been
well preserved and expanded to offer walking trails, an outdoor restaurant
Sugar Mill at Mt. Irvine Bay Hotel
The Sugar Mill at Mt. Irvine Bay Hotel was the power center of the sugar
works for the Old Grange Estate which was erected in the latter part of the
18th Century. The collapse of the sugar industry in 1887 brought its
usefulness to an end. Today it is the centerpiece of the Sugarmill
Restaurant at the Mount Irvine Bay Hotel.
Speyside Waterwheel - Speyside
This wheel was erected in the late 18th Century or early 19th Century. The
waterwheel and related machinery were used to grind sugar and were made in
Scotland. With the collapse of the sugar industry in 1887, this and other
mills became obsolete. It is now one of the many reminders of Tobago’s past.
Governor’s House/The President’s House
Government House Road
The Governor’s House at Mt. William was completed in 1828. After its
completion, it was occupied only when Governors resident in Trinidad visited
the island. It is now the official residence of the President of Trinidad
St. Andrew’s Anglican Church -
Bacolet Street, Scarborough
In 1816, an Act was passed for the building of this church in
Scarborough. The building was completed in 1819 and consecrated by
Rev. W.S. Wilson. In 1963, the original building was destroyed by
hurricane Flora. The present building was erected on the old
foundation. Memorial plaques adorn the walls of the Church and in
particular that to Sir William Young, the Governor, who died in
Richmond Great House - Richmond village
The most elegant surviving plantation Great House in Tobago is the
Richmond Great House. This home dating
from 1766, contains early 20th Century wooden and brass African and
Chinese furniture. Also containing a collection of African textiles
and carvings, it is now used as a guesthouse with an outdoor
restaurant and a swimming pool.
The House of Assembly or Old Court House
This building overlooks James Park in upper Scarborough. His
Excellency Governor General Sir F.P. Robinson laid the foundation
stone on April 23rd, 1821. Upon completion in 1825, the building
housed the island’s Legislature and Judiciary. The building is now
used as the
island’s Central Administration building, where it
houses the Chamber of the Tobago House of Assembly, the local
Government on the island.
Buccoo Reef is the largest coral reef in Tobago and is one of the
best examples of a reef complex in the region; it was designated as
a marine park in 1973. It contains a reef system of five reef flats
that are separated by deep channels. Buccoo Reef is one of the most
accessible for the non-diver, as snorkeling and glass-bottom boats
offer an easy way to observe the many habitats and species it
contains. These Glass-bottom boat trips to the reef are available
from various points, including Store Bay and Pigeon Point.
The Nylon Pool, a sparkling, aqua-blue basin of clear
waist-high water in the middle of the ocean. Visits to the Nylon
Pool are usually combined with trips to Buccoo Reef.
– Crown Point
The name Crusoe has a bearing on Defoe's legendary fictional
character Robinson Crusoe. The cave is a part of a network of
subterranean caves that traverse the Crown Point and Store Bay area.
This cave was probably a pre-historic fresh water course known to
the Amerindians who lived in that part of the island. Access to the
entrance of this cave is located on private property.
Ten acres of tropical trees and shrubs sloping down from the
Claude Noel Highway to the downtown area. Entrances to the
gardens are located just off the Claude Noel Highway and from
Tobago has many waterfalls with cool clear fresh water falling into
pools that invigorate both the body and the mind. Many of Tobago’s
waterfalls are close to the road so that it is a short hike to visit
them. Learn more about Tobago’s waterfalls by reading
Salt in Tobago.
Main Ridge Forest Reserve
The Tobago Main Ridge Forest Reserve is the oldest protected forest
reserve in the Western Hemisphere. It proclaimed a Forest Reserve
by an Act of Parliament in 1776 and today most of the forest
remains totally natural.
has great biodiversity with many species of birds, mammals, frogs,
(nonpoisonous) snakes, butterflies and other invertebrates. There
are very knowledgeable government-appointed guides who provide an
authoritative guiding service through the forest.
Dirt Oven Baking
An old time dirt
oven that uses a wood fire, dough wrapped in wet banana leaves and
preparation methods developed over years is one of the attractions of the
village of Castara. Delicious products baked by a group of senior citizens
who have been baking with this method for decades are available for sale.
You can learn more about this attraction on our
One of Tobago's
visitor attractions is birding. The small size of the island means that it
is very easy to include birdwatching as an outdoor recreation activity while
on vacation in Tobago. You can find the many birdwatching hotspots on our
Bird Watching Page.
Tobago Cocoa Estate
The Tobago cocoa
estate is an estate that grows exclusively Trinitario fine flavored cocoa.
Tours of the working plantation are offered allowing the visitor to learn
the history of cocoa, see historical displays and learn how cocoa is
converted into chocolate. There is also a small souvenir shop and cafe.
Genesis Nature Park
& Art Gallery
Located at Goodwood, between
Scarborough and Roxborough is the Genesis Nature Park. This nature reserve
which is housed in the garden surrounding the owner’s home has various local
wildlife species including capuchin monkeys, boa constrictors, turkeys,
turtle, agouti, parrot, wild hogs, cocrico, caimans, squirrels and fish.
There is also a small art gallery where local paintings and sculptures by
Michael Spencer are for sale.
To learn more about Tobago, visit our other Tobago Pages: